In 1946 Czechoslovak legionaries in Britain bought 74 West End Lane in West Hampstead, London, with money that they saved and with the aid of £3,000 from President Beneš. This building was called "Národní dům" (National House)
After 1948 it provided a home from home for men who escaped communism.
The Czechoslovak National House remains nearly unchanged today to the original style and decor. Its restaurant and bar offer a taste of traditional Czech and Slovak food and drink in London. Payment is by cash only. It is only a short walk from the West Hampstead railway stations.
The building includes a memorial to all the Czechoslovak airmen who died in the Second World War.